Saturday, September 11, 2010

CHILDBIRTH CLASSES: DAY ONE

Mark and I went to our first Childbirth Class at St. David's Medical Center, which will also be the hospital that we will deliver at. The class is two days long, today and tomorrow. So, just one weekend, from 10 AM to 4 PM each day.

Today, they covered a lot of topics. Here was the outline for today's class:

Session #1 (Day One, before lunch)
Introduction
Anatomy and Physiology of Pregnancy and Birth
Overview of Labor and Delivery
Pre-Labor vs "True" Labor Signs
Video: Stages of Labor
Discussion - Stage One
-early
-active
-transition
Relaxation Practice / Introduction to Slow Breathing

Session #2 (Day One, after lunch)
Opening Video: Tried and True
Coping Techniques for Labor - Discussion and Practice
-relaxation, breathing and massage
-focal points, visualization
-positioning to promote comfort and progress
Stage Two and Three - Pushing and Delivery of Baby and Placenta
Your Labor Bag - What to Pack
Homework Assignment


The class today was very interesting. A lot of things that were discussed weren't necessarily new topics for me, but it was nice to be able to go more in depth on some of those topics. My favorite part of the day was when we practiced the different positions to cope during labor. It really helped me to visual the moment of labor, and to understand better what Mark's role will be. I can already tell that he's going to be wonderful in that room with me! And that definitely gives me a lot of comfort, knowing that he'll be there next to my side.

Tomorrow should be an exciting day as well. We'll cover a lot of topics that I'll want to explore (i.e. drugs vs natural) and we will also be getting the hospital tour. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment